Summary

Copper one Penny token, minted by Heaton & Sons of Birmingham, circa 1857. Issued by Smith, Peate & Co. Grocers, Tea & Wine Merchants in Sydney. In 1852 Edward A. Smith joined Thomas Peate to form Smith, Peate and Co., Shipping and Family Grocers and Wine Merchants, in Sydney. Their grandfathers, Captain George Peate and William Smith, had been the owners of a trading vessel Sally from 1820-1825. During the 1860s the business did well and claimed the patronage of 'His Excellency, the Governor in Chief.' The business continued without substantial change until 1880 when a new partner was brought in and the business became Peate and Harcourt. In 1886 W.H. Peate, son of Thomas, moved the business to larger premises, and in 1893 T.J. Turton became a partner in the firm. The Smiths and Harcourt had all retired from the business by this time. The Business closed in 1897 and the building was demolished.

Physical Description

A round copper token (34 mm diameter). The token design featuring the name, address, business and foundation date of the issuer: Smith, Peate and Co., 258 & 260 George Street Sydney, grocers, tea dealers, wine merchants. The reverse depicts Justice standing facing left, blindfolded and extending balanced scales from her right hand, her left hand rests on an inverted cornucopiae from which fruits flow. A sailing ship is seen on the horizon to the left of the figure. This was part of a large issuer of tokens production of which involved four or five obverse dies. The obverse of all dies bore the same legend. This die was characterised by the letters of the words WINE MERCHANTS being 29.3 mm long; 136 dots around the edge and the A of TEA being 2.0 mm from the D of DEALERS. See notes tab for a table of other die variations.

Obverse Description

SMITH, PEATE & Co. / GROCERS / TEA DEALERS / & / WINE MERCHANTS / 258 & 260 / GEORGE ST. / SYDNEY This die was characterised by the letters of the words WINE MERCHANTS being 29.3 mm long; 136 dots around the edge and the A of TEA being 2.0 mm from the D of DEALERS.

Reverse Description

The reverse depicts Justice standing facing left, blindfolded and extending balanced scales from her right hand, her left hand rests on an inverted cornucopiae from which fruits flow (a small G is among the fruit). A sailing ship is seen on the horizon to the left of the figure. Above ESTABLISHED, in exergue, 1836 The distance of the start and end of the word ESTABLISHED to the horizon is: E to sea 11.0 mm, D to sea 12.0 mm; border of 130 dots.

Edge Description

Plain

More Information