Hotpoint electric iron, made by Edison Electric Applicance Co, Inc, United States of America, 1920s.

Used at Simpson's Gloves, probably to press seams together or flatten seams prior to stitching leather.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

'Hotpoint' electric irons were first sold in Australia around 1914 and remained a popular product for many decades. From the late 1920s they were manufactured in Australia by the Australian General Electric Co. Ltd.

Physical Description

Two pronged electric iron, wood covering over handle, adjustable thumb button, heavy steel base.

More Information