This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the eastern facade and southern drive with two fences in the foreground, circa 1912. The postcard, which was printed in Great Britain, was sent to Mrs Mortimer in Lawler, South Australia and is postmarked 13 May 1912.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building from the east, showing the eastern facade through the trees, the southern drive and a pathway in the foreground. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten inscription, an address and a postmark. The stamp has been removed.

More Information