The Wall Auto-Wheel was designed to be attached to a pedal bicycle. It was patented (No. 14,967) by Arthur W. Wall of Birmingham in 1908 and made by Auto-Wheels Ltd in London, UK. A 20-inch (508mm) tyre is fitted to a one horsepower single-cylinder, air-cooled petrol engine. It was controlled by a single lever and cable fitted to the handlebars and was briefly popular prior to the First World War and continued to be sold in Australia during the war. By 1916 the Victorian agent was the Melbourne Sports Depot at 55-57 Elizabeth Street. The advertised price was 22 pounds and 10 shillings This example was donated to the Museum in 1981.

More Information