This early model De Dion Bouton 'vis-a-vis' voiturette was purchased in Paris by Mr James H. Craven of St Kilda in about 1900. Craven ran the machinery importation business Jas H. Craven & Co. in South Melbourne . It is believed to be the first De Dion, Bouton to be imported into Australia. Craven owned at least one other De Dion Bouton, a front-engine 8 horsepower model in which he won the Light Car section of the Dunlop Sydney to Melbourne reliability trial in February 1905. This voiturette was last reported used in a 1934 car rally before being stored. It was restored by Mr Bernard Edmondson, nephew of J.H. Craven in 1968 and was purchased by the Museum in 1976.

More Information