Brass ring with design of miner's tools. Believed to have been made for sale to miners in the 1850s as a memento and souvenir of their 'goldfield days'. Possibly cast in Birmingham, England (source of this information unknown). Stamped "BALLARRAT".

An early tag attached to the ring stated 'Brass chased ring made for sale to miners as Aust gold in the goldfields days...this one was bought in 1851.’

The ring was donated to Museum Victoria in 1929.

Physical Description

Brass ring with central shield design featuring two miners' picks placed across a vertically positioned shovel. The ring flares at its centre where the shield is located and the surface around the shield is roughly textured. The thinner back section of the band is smooth and bears a stamped inscription on the inside.

More Information