A section of welded tubular steel from the rear fuselage of a De Havilland DH 60M Gipsy Moth biplane made by the Department of Defence at Maribrynong, Victoria in about 1935. Six DH 60M fuselages were built at Maribrynong for the RAAF. The program was designed to develop local aircraft manufacturing capacity. The wings were built by Tugan Aircraft in Sydney.

This section of fuselage was donated to the Museum in 1935 and is believed to be a test piece used to develop welding techniques.

More Information