The PS Tyro was used for trading on the Murray River between 1872 and 1926. She was built by S. Shetliffe & Sons at Goolwa in South Australia in 1872. Tyro was used mostly on the lower Murray and Lake Alexandrina. She was almost destroyed in November 1897 as the result of a boiler explosion at Mannum in South Australia. After being repaired at Mannum, Tyro operated on the Murray River for many more years until burned accidently at Murray Bridge in June 1926. This model of the Tyro was purchased by the Museum in 1981.