British Service percussion rifle, Lancaster carbine (Ordnance Model), cal. .577 in., steel rifled round barrel, 80.30cm long, bayonet mount on right hand side.

Made by John Edward Barnett & Sons, London, 1861.

Buttplate tang stamped 'G-62/ 107/ V.V' denoting use by the Victorian Volunteer forces.

Physical Description

Steel lock and hammer on R.H. side, brass oval triggerguard with small front spur, no sideplate, brass butt plate, two sling swivels. Barleycorn foresight that has been largely removed, graduated rear sight, barrel fastened to stock via two steel barrel bands, Nipple protector fastened to front of triggerguard via brass chain.


The Lancaster carbine was introduced into British service in 1855. Externally it appeared almost identical to the Pattern 1856 Short Rifle, more commonly known as the Sergeant's Model, however rather than the Short Rifle's three groove Enfield rifling, it employed the Lancaster rifling - an oval bore that varied between .016" and .018 along its two axes. Unlike the later Lancaster carbine with a reduced calibre of .568 (26 bore) - as opposed to the Ordnance Model's .577 (25 bore) - and steel furniture, the Ordnance model was finished with brass fittings, and was popular in Victoria for competitive shooting until superseded by the appearance of the reduced bore variant. Interestingly, this item has a nipple protector fitted - a feature not typical to the Ordnance Model, but standard on the reduced bore model.

More Information