Port Phillip Farmers Association Silver Prize Medal 1858 (AD)
Mint: not recorded
Awarded to: Mr. M. McLellan
Other Details: Prize medal awarded to Mr. M. McLellan for salted butter by the Port Phillip Farmers Society (now known as Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria). The Society was formed in 1848 from a number of earlier farmers' societies in Victoria. The Society aimed to improve agricultural practices to meet the food needs of a growing population, and conducted ploughing matches in the area around Flemington. In 1855 it established showgrounds in Parkville, opposite the present site of The University of Melbourne. The current showgrounds in Ascot Vale were not established until 1882.
A silver prize medal (51 mm. diameter) featuring a rural scene of farm house, reclining cow, sheep, horse and tools below gum tree branch; in exergue in tiny letters, ARNOLDI and details of the prize engraved within open wreath below small kangaroo.
Rural scene of farm house, reclining cow, sheep, horse and tools below gum tree branch; in exergue in tiny letters, ARNOLDI
Engraved within open wreath below small Kangaroo, SALTED BUTTER / FIRST PRIZE / to / Mr. M. McLellan / 1858; around, PORT PHILLIP FARMER'S SOEICTY; below, INSTITUTED 1848
Obverse: PORT PHILLIP FARMERS ASSOCIATION INSTITUTED 1848 SALTED BUTTER / FIRST PRIZE / to / Mr. M. McLellan / 1858 Reverse: ARNOLDI
Type of item
63.93 g (Weight)