Alternative Name(s): tablecloth

This white cotton tablecloth is part of the furnishing and equipment used at Florentino Restaurant in Bourke Street Melbourne, during the time of Branco Tocigl's ownership from 1979-1989.

Florentino's opened during the 1920s under the ownership of Polish migrant Samuel Wynn and management of Rinaldo Massoni who had migrated from Italy in 1911. Originally Cafe Denat in Exhibition Street, the new owners moved it to Exhibition Street and changed the name to Cafe Florentino. Under Massoni's management (he purchased the lease from Wynn in 1929), the cafe flourished and expanded into the neighbouring Edments gift store in 1935. Massoni died suddenly in 1941 and the restaurant has had a series of owners ever since, but has always remained in its 1935 location.

Physical Description

A woven cotton fabric with woven patterns, a machine edge, the inscription word is in red script near the bottom.

More Information