Hat stretching appliance, originally screwed to bench top, made by Robert Godfrey Pty Ltd, Melbourne, circa 1960. Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond.

The hat was placed on the aluminium dome shaped piece; when the handle was turned, the dome section split vertically, one section moving away from the fixed half. A graduated scale along the side indicated the size. To give better leverage, there is a a factory-added wooden extension on the handle.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

More Information