Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1908. The postcard, which has a handwritten inscription on the reverse, was printed as part of the Valentine's Series by Valentine & Sons, Dundee, Scotland.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building from south east with trees shrubs and garden paths in the foreground. The building is obscured by the garden. The sky is tinted light blue and orange, as though at sunset. The image is framed by a wide white border on all sides. In the bottom right hand corner are the initials JV in a circle with a series number. This is the trademark of Valentine & Sons, publishers. On the reverse of the postcard, a handwritten address and message in black ink. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange Tasmanian postage stamp depicting Mount Wellington.

More Information