Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1906. The postcard, which was made in Germany, was used as a Christmas card and posted to Miss Worsfold of Aspendale, Victoria. The card is postmarked 22 Dec 1906.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building from south west with garden beds in the foreground. On the reverse there is a handwritten address and message in blue ink. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange Victorian postage stamp postmarked Melbourne, 22 December 1906.

More Information