Summary

This is a colour postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building circa 1905. The postcard has a handwritten inscription on the reverse and was made by Harding & Billing.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building taken from the south east showing the lake and trees in the foreground. The photograph has a brown border similar to a wooden frame and a white border surrounds the frame. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten message. 'Commonwealth of Australia' is printed across the top but the postcard has no date or postmark. In the lower left hand corner are the initials HB on an artists palette. This is the trademark of Harding & Billings, introduced around 1904.

More Information