This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south east facade of the building from Nicholson Street, made circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was made in Germany and features a JW Lindt photograph.

JW Lindt worked as a photographer in Melbourne between 1876 & 1881. This photograph was most probably taken immediately prior to or following the Melbourne International Exhibition, as it depicts the obelisk and lighthouse in the garden but no flags are atop the building. The postcard, however, was not manufactured until many years later.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building, gardens and part of Nicholson Street showing tram, people and carriage. The photograph has been taken from an elevated position on Nicholson Street with a view of the south east facade in the background. The lake, gardens and road are in the foreground. An obelisk and lighthouse structure are to the south of the building and annexes appear at the north side of the building. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information