Black and white photograph of the Poplar Station Signal Box taken in 1906. Poplar station was operated by the North London Railway Company (1850-1922). This photograph belonged to Herbert Noltey (1888-1969) who worked for the NLR at Poplar (East India Road) Railway Station circa 1903-1904 before migrating to Melbourne, Australia. Poplar was the southern terminus of the NLR passenger service but goods trains ran through to the East India Docks. The area was heavily bombed during World War II and Poplar station was closed in 1944. It is now the site of the All Saints Docklands Light Railway Station.

Description of Content

Interior of the signal box at Poplar station near East India Dock, London.

Physical Description

Black and white photographic print.

More Information