Black and white photograph of a sheet iron extension, possibly at the Massey Ferguson plant in Sunshine.

From a photograph album containing one hundred and four black and white photographs and three colour transparencies depicting H. V. McKay Massey Harris agents, groups, portraits, machinery and events dating from May 1951. Noted by a previous archivist as one of a series of 'Guard Books'.

This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company’s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

Factory exterior showing the construction of a sheet iron extension. Boxes and barrells are located outside the factory exterior.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph

More Information