Colour photograph of the eastern entrance to the Great Hall and the recently constructed Centennial Hall which replaced the Eastern Annexe. Centennial Hall was constructed between August 1979 and September 1980. It was officially opened on Centenary Day, 1 October 1980, by Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Mrs Angus Ogilvy, to commemorate the centenary of the opening of the Exhibition Building for the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View of the main eastern entrance to the Great Hall to the left and Centennial Hall with reflective exterior to the right in photograph.
A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Printed below photograph: Same site 1982.
Type of item
250 mm (Width), 200 mm (Height)
Buildings, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: Centennial Hall, Royal Exhibition Building: Great Hall, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1980-1989