Black & white photograph of a plaque commemorating the occupation of the Western Annexe by the Victorian State Parliament between 1901 and 1927, unveiled by the Victorian Premier, the Hon. Richard 'Dick' Hamer on 9 May 1981.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
Bronze plaque commemorating the occupation of the Western Annexe of the Exhibition Building by the Victorian State Parliament between 1901 and 1927, mounted on a stone plinth out the front of the Exhibition Building.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
Ten photographic albums maintained by the Exhibition Trustees' provide an invaluable visual record of the history, use, changes and restoration of the Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
COMMEMORATION OF STATE PARLIAMENT'S OCCUPATION/ OF WESTERN ANNEXE MAY 9th, 1981/ Commemorative plaque unveiled by the Honourable R.J. Hamer,/ M.P., E.D., Premier of Victoria, on May 9th, 1981 the eightieth/ anniversary of commencement of occupany.
Type of item
205 mm (Width), 198 mm (Height)