Certificate presented to Heinrich (Henry) Munzel at the 1866 Inter-Colonial Exhibition. It was presented for a model double spiral staircase made from Brazilwood, which Henry had crafted in Pernambuco, Brazil between 1835 and 1850. Henry brought the model with him when he migrated from Brazil, and entered it Sandhurst Divison of the Inter-Colonial Exhibition, where it was awarded an Honourable Mention.

The Intercolonial Exhibition was held from 23 October 1866 until 23 February 1867 in a new exhibition area at the rear of the Public Library. Seen as 'a temple of industry' it celebrated the wealth created from Victoria's goldfields and the colony's growing confidence in its manufacturing and industrial future. Nearly 3,000 exhibits were on display and it attracted almost 100,000 visitors. Five days after its closure exhibitors were invited to contribute objects to form the nucleus for the Industrial and Technological Museum which was established in 1870.

Physical Description

Framed certificate with decorative boarder in gold, red and green, printed text in red and gold and individual details completed in black ink.

More Information