Photograph of MF220 Backhoem, used during the construction of sewerage system, Melbourne.

This image is part of a collection of photographs, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature relating to Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded as Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s. In 1930 it merged with Massey Harris's Australian operations to become H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd. In 1955, this company was in turn absorbed into the Massey-Ferguson global entity becoming Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Limited.

Description of Content

A man operating a MF220 Backhoe Loader in bottom of large circular hole which is fitted with wall restraining woodwork. One man is hammering in a wooden retaining beam. Extract from Sunshine Outlook, December 1966: "The MF3165 S industrial unit proved an economical 'laborer' for Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works. It loaded rock spoil into huge baskets for winching to the surface. Each time more rock had to be blasted free, a huge crane was used to haul up the MF rig. Final depth was 90ft."

Physical Description

Black and white photograph

More Information