Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.

Description of Content

Farmall A tractors and plough on two International Harvester trucks in front of the Horsham IHC dealership premises on 15 Jan 1940. The photograph was taken during a IHC promotional tour for the new Farmall A tractor. The truck on the left is a D300 forward control and on the right is a D40 low-loader.

Physical Description

Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.

More Information