James Urie was a local Justice of the Peace and councillor in the Borough Council of Flemington and Kensington. He served as a councillor from August 1886 to August 1888, and was Mayor from August 1887 to August 1888.
The Borough of Flemington and Kensington, established in March 1882 had, at that time, a population of 6,800 in an area of 1,078 acres. It included a city market, abbatoirs and factories. Its population was relatively dense, and efforts were underway to have the abbatoir and cattle yards removed.
Victorian Municipal Directory.