A silver Didrachm from the town of Tarentum (Taras) in Italy, circa 425 BC
Horseman advancing to right holding two spears and a shield in his left hand and thrusting down with third spear held overhead in his right. Below the horse in Greek the letters DAI
Taras seated naked on dolphin swimming to left and holding a trident over his right shoulder while holding a shield on which a hippocamp (sea-horse). Behind in Greek TARAS; below a buccinium (?).
Taras is the founder of the Greek colony of Taras (Tarentum, modern Taranto), in Magna Graecia.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15 Mar 1976
circa 425 BC
Eugene von Guerard, Melbourne, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, pre 1880
Listed in Eugene von Guerard's catalogue, vol.1, p.7. Purchased by Eugene von Guerard from Mr Lincoln of London. The von Guerard collection was purchased by the NGV in 1880 and transferred to the Science Museum of Victoria in 1976.
Type of item
21 mm (Outside Diameter), 7.67 g (Weight)
BMC. Italy p. 192, no.245 cf. SNG Corpus Christi No. 130
[Book] Poole, Reginald S. 1873. A Catalogue of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Italy., 192 Pages
[Catalogue] Pullin, Ruth. 2011. Nature Revealed: Eugene von Guerard.