Alternative Name(s): Ordinary
High wheel bicycle, made circa 1872 in the workshop of John James, blacksmith & coachbuilder, Ballarat East. Used for racing and leisure.
Bicycle made from iron painted black with large front wheel and small rear wheel. Both wheels have metal rims and no tyres. It has wooden handle bars and a wooden seat with a curved piece of metal for suspension.
Donation from Mr Joseph James, 19 May 1932
On front wheel, stamped: ' BBH4 '.
Type of item
730 mm (Width), 2035 mm (Depth), 1440 mm (Height)
Diameter of large wheel at front: 1270mm.