Copy in two halves of a medal of Ludovico III, Marquis of Mantua. The original medal was made between 1444 and 1455 by Pisanello. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal was acquired by the British Museum and later exhibited in the King's Library in 1881. It is No. 13 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the mid 1880s.
It is suggested that the original medal may have been made in 1447 or 1448 when he was Captain General of the Florentines (Kress Collection p.10). Ludovico was the second Marquess of Mantua.
Bust of Ludovico III, di Gonzaga facing left, bare-headed, in tunic over which a cuirass; across field in two lines divided by bust, LVDOVICUS . DE . / GONZAGA; around above, . CAPITANEVS . ARMIGERORVM .; around below, . MARCHIO . MANTVE . ET . CET incuse on cuirass, A A above which a crown (engraved - stamp of collection).
Ludovico di Gonzaga on horseback in full armour with globular crest on helmet advancing to right; in front, a sun-flower; behind, the sun; in field behind horse in three lines OPVS . PISANI / . PICTO / RIS
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Type of item
102 mm (Outside Diameter)
Kings Gallery.13 Kress.16
[Book] Keary, C F. 1881. Guide to the Italian medals exhibited in the King's library., 5 Pages
[Book] Hill, George W. & Pollard, Graham. 1967. Renaissance Medals from the Samuel H. Kress Collection., 10 Pages