Large wooden trunk brought out to Melbourne from Scotland by Charles Anderson Grant. Charles Anderson Grant was born in 1837 in Greyfriars Parish, Edinburgh to James and Ann Grant. His father was a tailor and clothier and was known to be 'tyrannical'. A family story says there was tuberculosis in the family and as a result the children were encouraged to immigrate to a warmer climate. Charles arrived in Melbourne in December 1858 on board the 'Mermaid' aged 21.

Most of Charles' siblings came out to Australia as unassisted migrants. His brother John was a doctor in Bacchus Marsh but died two years before Charles arrived in 1856. His brother William immigrated to Australia in 1852 and worked a farm firstly in Bacchus Marsh and then at Warragul, he died around 1911. Charles' sister Rebecca married a doctor in Melbourne and died giving birth to her child.

When Charles died the trunk went to his brother William and then to his daughter. During World War II the trunk was lent out to the Colac Red Cross, had an oilcloth placed over the lid and was used for locking up stores for the group. Eventually it went to William's granddaughter Jean who removed the oilcloth and cleaned it.

Physical Description

Large wooden trunk with a lid that lifts open. The lid is connected with original metal hinges. The trunk is brown in colour with written words in white on lid. The original metal handles are on each side. The trunk has a lock and key that was added to it in the 1940s.

More Information