The Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria was founded by John Pascoe Fawkner in 1849 as the Horticultural Society of Victoria.

In 1850 trial grounds were established in association with the Burnley Horticultural College. In 1885 Royal Charter was granted to the Horticultural Society of Victoria, making it the Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria. The Society aimed to promote amateur horticulture throughout Victoria.

The Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria has operated as an umbrella organisation for many horticultural organisations since 1886. Currently, most societies and garden clubs are affiliated with the Society.

Several medals have been struck by the R.H.S.V. to honour exemplary service to horticulture. The John Pascoe Fawkner medal is awarded to members, affiliated club members and society members for service to horticulture. The A.W.Comeadow medal is awarded for outstanding design of a display at a major horticultural show. The Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria gold medal is awarded to R.H.S.V. members only for outstanding and distinguished service to the Society. The S.S.McKay medal is awarded by garden clubs and societies for best exhibit at their shows or for aggregate points attained over a year of exhibiting in monthly competitions held by garden clubs.

Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria Inc. website accessed 27 November 2003.

More Information