Summary

Australia Victoria Geelong West
Medal - City of Geelong West Victorian Sesquicentenary 1985 (AD)
Mint: Brim
Other Details: A gold-plated medal issued by the City of Geelong West to commemorate the sesquicentenary of Victoria in 1984-5. It features a shield with the motto BE JUST AND FEAR NOT and the sesquicentenary logo. Geelong West began to develop in the 1830s and 1840s, with both industrial and residential activities. In 1858 the Geelong Gas Works was founded in the district of Kildare, and the largest nineteenth century factory in the area, Donaghy's Rope Works, was founded in 1873. In 1886 the Newberry foundry provided both local employment and cast-iron building materials used for the many timber houses to be found in Geelong West. The Borough of Geelong West was proclaimed in 1875 and ended when the City of Geelong West was proclaimed in 1922. The City of Geelong West was proclaimed in 1929, and was absorbed into Greater Geelong City Council in 1993.

Physical Description

A gold plated medal issued by the City of Geelong West to commemorate the sesquicentenary of Victoria in 1984-5. It features a shield with the motto BE JUST AND FEAR NOT and the sesquicentenary logo.

Obverse Description

Within broad rim formed by a line circle, below the words, WITH COMPLIMENTS a shield quartered and depicting the local industries related to railways, manufacturing industry, seafaring and sheep farming with the motto BE JUST FEAR NOT; around, CITY OF GEELONG WEST

Reverse Description

Logo of the Victorian sesquicentenary; below, VICTORIA 150 / GROWING TOGETHER 1984-5 at rim in small letters the mint name, BRIM MELB

Edge Description

Plain

More Information