Glass negative depicting a winch.
Prior to the invention of cellulose nitrate film in 1903, photographic emulsion was supported on glass. Two different formats were developed for creating these supports - collodion wet plate negative (early 1850s) and the gelatin dry plate (1871) - however, both formats are commonly referred to as 'glass negatives.' The use of glass negatives greatly increased interest in photography and the gelatin dry plate eventually superceded the collodion wet plate by virtue of being more convenient.
As the collodion wet plate appears to have only been in use until the 1880s it seems likely that this glass negative is an example of the gelatin dry plate method.
Description of Content
Glass negative depicting a piece of machinery that appears to be largely constructed from wheels and cogs.
Full plate silver gelatin glass negative.
Donation from Vickers Ruwolt Pty Ltd, circa 1986
Place & Date Depicted
Glass Negative, Whole Plate, Black & White
Hand-written on the negative along the top: 'Top' Hand-written on the negative to the left of centre: '44'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Negative/s
215 mm (Width), 164 mm (Height)
Greta Bahnemann, 'The Preservation of Glass Plate Negatives,' at: [Link 1] accessed: Sept 3, 2012