1/4 Guilder, Issued by Essequibo & Demerary (Demerara), British Guiana (now Guyana), 1816
Minted by Royal Mint, London
Laureate and draped bust of the King facing right; around, GEORGIUS III D: G: BRITANNIARUM REX
Within an open wreath of oak, 1/4; above, a crown; around, UNITED COLONY OF DEMERARY & ESSEQUIBO 1816
This coin formed part of an order from the Court of Policy dated 6 June 1815. The order included a change of reverse legend from the 1809 from COLONIES OF ESSEQUEBO & DEMARARY to the new form UNITED COLONY OF DEMERARY & ESSEQUIBO. The coins were struck in1816 and went out of use after the dollar and its cent were adopted in 1839. Many were returned to England and melted in 1839.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), A.H. Baldwin & Son Ltd, 15 Mar 1976
Type of item
17 mm (Outside Diameter), 1.92 g (Weight)
KM#11 Pridmore 21
[Book] Pridmore, Fred. 1965. The Coins of the British Commonwealth of Nations, Part 3, West Indies.
[Book] Bruce, Colin R. 2006. Standard Catalogue of World Coins 1801 - 1900.