Summary

Copy negative of an image showing staff from the H.V McKay Massey Harris Purchasing Department. The department was located in the firm's city office in Collins Street. The typist is dictating a letter. The image was published in the firm's newsletter Sunshine Review in April 1950.

This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company’s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

A female worker typing on a type writer as her male colleague dictates a letter. The man is wearing a suit and glasses. Another female worker is seated at her desk in the background. A set of filing drawers is to the right of the workers. A calender sits atop the cabiet.

Physical Description

Black and white copy negative

More Information