Summary

One of eleven photographs of self propelled grain harvesters undergoing field testing. The 'new type auto header' was designed by Headlie Taylor after World War II and was completed for the harvest of 1949-1950. Further refinements occurred during the following four years. Headlie Taylor's son, Howard Taylor, worked as a draftsman on this project and was closely involved in its development and field testing.

Part of a collection of photographs, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature relating to Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd and its predecessors. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay, at Ballarat, in the late 1880s, and by 1895 was operating as the Sunshine Harvester Works. After relocating to Braybrook Junction (later renamed 'Sunshine') on the western outskirts of Melbourne, during 1904-1907, the business rapidly developed into the largest agricultural implement works in the southern hemisphere. In 1930, H.V. McKay merged with the Australian operations of the Canadian firm, Massey Harris Ltd, of Toronto, becoming H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd. In 1955, this company was fully absorbed into the growing multinational corporation that became Massey Ferguson Ltd in 1958.

Description of Content

'Mr Peter Badoco (Badoga) farm 258, Griffith, N.S.W. No.4 header & 744 D; 3 ton crop rice: May 1953' rear view of a No. 4 engine-functioned header harvesting a good crop of rice at Griffith, N.S.W. The driver of the tractor is Mr. Howard Taylor (from the H.V. McKay experimental section).

More Information