The CSIRAC computer on display at Caulfield Institute of Technology [later Chisholm Institute of Technology in 1982 and Monash University Caulfield Campus in 1990] where Trevor Pearcey, who pioneered computing in Australia and designed CSIRAC, held a variety of academic positions in computing. CSIRAC was on display here from 1980 until 1992. The image shows two of the twelve-channel paper tape punches and one mercury delay line.
CSIRAC, originally known as CSIR Mark 1, was built by the Commonwealth Council for Scientific and Industrial Research [CSIR], Sydney, in 1949 and was the fourth computer in the world. It was later transferred to the University of Melbourne. Designed by Trevor Pearcey and engineered by Maston Beard, CSIRAC completed more than 1000 projects by the time it was turned off in 1964. It is currently housed at Museum Victoria.
This is one of a set of 35mm slides showing computers, computer components, computer structure diagrams and computer programmimg instructions, probably used as aids in teaching computing subjects. The diagrams and instructions relate to several pioneer models and systems of stored program computers dating back as far as the 1950s and including CSIRAC, Cirrus, Atlas, IBM System/360, CDC 6600 System, and Illiac IV.
Description of Content
The CSIRAC Computer on display at Caulfield Institute of Technology.
35mm colour slide
Donation from Steve & Connie Kormas, 22/02/2001
Slide, 35 mm, Colour
Type of item
50 mm (Length), 50 mm (Width)