The CSIRAC computer in the Computing Laboratory at University of Melbourne. The image shows a close-up view of the console's cathode ray tubes in operation. CSIRAC was at University of Melbourne from 1956 until 1964.
CSIRAC, originally known as CSIR Mark 1, was built by the Commonwealth Council for Scientific and Industrial Research [CSIR], Sydney, in 1949 and was the fourth computer in the world. It was later transferred to the University of Melbourne. Designed by Trevor Pearcey and engineered by Maston Beard, CSIRAC completed more than 1000 projects by the time it was turned off in 1964. It is currently housed at Museum Victoria.
This is one of a set of 35mm slides showing computers, computer components, computer structure diagrams and computer programmimg instructions, probably used as aids in teaching computing subjects. The diagrams and instructions relate to several pioneer models and systems of stored program computers dating back as far as the 1950s and including CSIRAC, Cirrus, Atlas, IBM System/360, CDC 6600 System, and Illiac IV.
Description of Content
The CSIRAC Mark 1 Computer which was on display at Caulfield Institute of Technology between 1980 and 1992.
35mm colour slide
Donation from Steve & Connie Kormas, 22/02/2001
Slide, 35 mm, Colour
Type of item
50 mm (Length), 50 mm (Width)