Membership Badge 1898 - 1899 (AD)
Mint: not recorded
Other Details: The cycle racing craze of the 1890s saw the replacement of the penny-farthing as the racing cycle of choice by cycles of a more modern appearance. In 1891 the Exhibition Buildings constructed the colony's main cycle racing track where the entrance foyer of Museum Victoria now stands. Two years later the League of Victorian Wheelmen was established, and became the governing body of the sport. Its mission was 'to advance racing and touring and the trade of cycling in all the lands under the Southern Cross'. 'We firmly believe that cycling has a great future (with the) beautiful models of perfection as (we seen in) the bicycle of the present day world. (We) anticipate the pleasures extending (and) advocate sweeping away the terms amateur and professional' (Australian Cyclist Journal 7 September 1893).
Bicycle wheel with tyre enameled dark red, wings from hub support '1898.9'; below on ribbon, 'LEAGUE OF / VICTORIAN WHEELMEN'.
Pin clip for wearing, stamped, '425'.
Donation from Albert G Lindblade, Jun 1966
Plain (edge) A bicycle wheel with tyre enameled dark red, wings from hub support 1898.9; below on ribbon, LEAGUE OF / VICTORIAN WHEELMEN (obverse) Pin clip for wearing, stamped, 425 (reverse)
Silver and Enamel
Type of item
Exhibition Collection Management
23 mm (Width), 22 mm (Outside Diameter)
Width measurement includes pin clip