Medal - Exhibition of Mining Machinery 1894 (AD)
Other Details: Gold medal issued by the Victorian Department of Mines to commemorate an exhibition of mining machinery held in 1894. In 1852 the Colony of Victoria appointed its first Mineral Surveyor. In 1863 the Mines Department formally constituted and the first geological map of Victoria was published. The Department was known as Department of Mines and Water Supply 1895 - 1909, the Department of Mines 1909 - 1959 and the Mines Department 1959 - 1976 . In 1977 - 1985 the Mines Department and Ministry of Fuel and Power merged to form Department of Minerals and Energy.
A gold medal (31 mm diameter) depicting Victoria as a seated female offering Victor's wreath among a scene of mining and industry, Southern Cross in the sky to her right
Victoria as a female seated facing with right arm extended holding a Victor's wreath set among a scene of mining and industry, above, PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERAT ; in the exergue: 1894 (engraved). BLASHKI & SONS in the field above the exergue.
At centre within a gear-wheel a crowned shield with FIRST AWARD around, EXHIBITION OF MINING MACHINERY . VICTORIA .
Transfer from Melbourne Branch of Royal Mint, 11/1/1978
Obverse: PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERAT ; In the exergue: 1894 (engraved) BLASHKI & SONS in the field above the exergue; Reverse: EXHIBITION OF MINING MACHINERY / . VICTORIA . / FIRST AWARD
Type of item
12.21 g (Weight)