A pair of timber jinker wheels cut from single pieces of red gum. Made by Henry Clarke, of Barmah, Victoria in 1908. Cut and shaped by hand with a crosscut saw, axe and adze. The tree used grew at Barmah Island, on the Victoria side of the Murray River. Discs for the wheels were cut using a crosscut saw, then finished by axe and adze.

Until 1923 these wheels were used on a timber jinker behind bullocks, horses and tractors to haul logs from the forest to Evans Bros. sawmill at Barmah. Later they were used by Evans to haul logs to the Murray River at Echuca (until about 1950). During this period of use, the diameter of the wheels was reduced through wear by about six inches. Dr George Cole (former Chief Health Officer) arranged through Mr. J. Dawson (Borough Health Inspector) to have the wheels presented to Museum in Melbourne. The wheels were presented by Mr. Fred Evans and were delivered to Melbourne by Mr Neil, of Moama, Victoria.

More Information