The Tupolev Tu-104 was a twin-jet, medium range Soviet jet airliner introduced into service in 1956. The design was based on the Tu-16/Tu-88 bomber using the same Mikulin AM-3 jet engines with a new fuselage accommodating 50-70 passengers. A stretched fuselage 100 passenger model (Tu-104B) was developed later. Around 200 were built, most serving with the USSR's state airline Aeroflot. A number were used by the military for training of cosmonauts for the Soviet space program.
The 1:35 scale model was donated to the Museum in 1961 by the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics Politechnical Museum in Moscow. The fuselage has been sectioned for display to show the distinctive split passenger cabin with a galley over the wing centre section. It was designed to be illuminated internally.
Fuselage has been sectioned for display to show the distinctive split passenger cabin with a galley over the wing centre section. The cockpit has not been sectioned but can be viewed through the windows. It was designed to be illuminated internally.
Donation from Union of Soviet Socialist Republics Polytechnical Museum, 10 Nov 1961
Left wing: CCCP [cyrillic] Right wing: 42344 Fuselage: CCCP [cyrrilic] ; 42344
Type of item
1120 mm (Length), 965 mm (Width), 250 mm (Height)
Height is approximate from base of plane to top of tail fin.