Highly detailed 1:12 scale model showing the wooden framework of the wings and fuselage of a Sopwith F.1 Camel, without fabric covering. It was made by Private Harold Peachey Wood, a mechanic and motor cyclist with No. 4 Squadron Australian Flying Corps in France in 1918. He made the model in his spare time from materials obtained from crashed aircraft. Harold Wood had been an early model aircraft maker from about 1908. He built many of the aircraft models in the collection of the Museum from the 1920s until the 1960s.

Aircraft History

The Sopwith Camel is perhaps the best-known fighter aircraft of the First World War but was considered obsolete even before the war ended in November 1918 and was being replaced by the updated Sopwith Snipe. It was powered by a Le Rhone 110 horsepower or Clerget 130 horsepower engine. It entered service with the Royal Flying Corps in 1917 armed with twin .303 machine guns firing through the propellor arc under a humped fairing which is believed to be the origin of the Camel's name. It could also carry light bombs in a ground attack role. No. 4 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps was equipped with Camels while serving in France in 1917-18. Australia's leading First World War flying ace Captain Arthur H.'Harry' Cobby DSO, DFC flew the type almost exclusively to achieve 29 confirmed victories. The Squadron was re-equipped with Sopwith Snipes shortly before the war ended. The Sopwith Aviation Company was founded by (Sir) T.O.M 'Tommy' Sopwith. Well-known Melbourne aviator Harry Hawker flew as a test pilot for the company.

More Information