Tonsil guillotine manufactured by Genito Urinary Manufacturing Company Ltd., London, circa 1920-1950.
Tonsil guillotines were used to remove tonsils which are located at the back of the throat. The motion of the two handles being brought together resulted in the blade pushing forward and the tonsils being cut.
This stainless steel tonsil guillotine was previously owned by Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop, circa 1945-1993. Lieutenant Colonel Sir Ernest Edward 'Weary' Dunlop AC, CMG, OBE, KStJ was an Australian surgeon who was renowned for his leadership whilst being held prisoner by the Japanese during World War II.
Following the war Dunlop resumed his medical career in Melbourne at a time when surgeons provided their own surgical instruments. Dunlop held senior positions with the Royal Melbourne Hospital, the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and the Peter MacCallum Clinic, and he taught at The University of Melbourne.
Two handled stainless steel instrument with curved clamps at each end. A central arm sits between the handles with a curved blade at its end. Once the handles are closed clamping the tonsil in place the blade can then be pushed forward guillotining the section to be removed.
Donation from (Estate of) Sir Edward ('Weary') Dunlop, Mr & Mr John & Alexander Dunlop, Sir Edward ('Weary') Dunlop, 17/12/1993
Engraved on handle; 'Mr. E.E. Dunlop.'. Stamped on reverse near hinge: 'GENITO / LONDON / URINARY'. Stamped on reverse of handle: 'STAINLESS PATENT No 434620'.
Type of item
24.5 cm (Length), 16.5 cm (Width)
Exhibition Collection Management
240 mm (Length), 160 mm (Width), 15 mm (Height)
240 mm (Length), 160 mm (Width), 20 mm (Height)
Measurement From Conservation. Measuring Method: max dim. - in natural resting position