Summary

A Herbert 2S capstan lathe manufactured by A.G. Healing Pty Ltd in Franklin Street, Melbourne circa 1942. The donor Mr Percy Frye worked for A.G. Healing at that time and had travelled from the UK with the lathe design drawings. Mr Frye subsequently restored the lathe. There was a critical shortage of machine tools in Australia at this time and several Melbourne firms started making this type of equipment to assist the war production effort.

Physical Description

Lathe with hexagon shaped tool carrier on a slide which is mounted in a saddle. The saddle is bolted to the bed of the lathe. The lathe has been painted blue.

More Information