Alternative Name(s): Cap, Hat
Black glengarry with tartan band and regimental badge.
Part of a complete Victorian Scottish Regiment uniform including rifle. Comprises: glengarry, scarlett doublet with yellow facings and collar badges, kilt, sporran, hose tops, garter tabs, boots, gaiters, pattern '82 buff waistbelt, bayonet frog, buff rifle sling. Martini Enfield rifle .303 calibre, with regimental marking VSR 86. Martini Enfield bayonet pattern '95. Mk11 scabbard no 628. 14 main items.
According to the Australian War Memorial, the Victorian Scottish Regiment was formed in 1898 as a volunteer unit of the Victorian Military Forces. It originally comprised only Australians of Scottish origin. Uniforms were not provided, and regimental members had to provide their own uniforms until the end of 1899, when 100 uniforms were made available for purchase. The first doublets were khaki; red doublets were introduced in 1901, in time for the review held to mark the opening of the Commonwealth parliament. In 1912 the Regiment was re-designated the 52nd Hobson's Bay Infantry. Four of the volunteer companies, A,B,C and D were located in South Melbourne. They continued to wear Scottish dress. The Regiment continued in different guises for several more decades.
Black glentarry with red, black and white tartan band. Red pom pom on crown. Regimental badge on proper front left.
Cultural Gifts Donation from Major Edward (Ted) J. Millett, N. W. Millett, by 06/1995
Type of item
280 mm (Width), 110 mm (Depth), 110 mm (Height)
Information on the Victorian Scottish Regiment from the Australian War Memorial web site [Link 1] (details of Regimental uniforms held by Memorial), accessed 12/6/2009.