British Service percussion rifle, Pattern 1858 Naval Rifle, cal. .577 in., steel rifled round barrel, 84.00cm long, bayonet mount on R.H.side.
Buttplate tang stamped 'E/ 81/ V.V' denoting use by the Victorian Volunteer forces.
Like the Pattern 1856 Short Rifle, the 1858 Naval Rifle is a short, two-band rifle, but differs from the 1856 pattern by being fitted with brass rather than steel furniture, having a heavier barrel, and employed five groove Enfield rifling rather than the 1856's three groove. Further, unlike the double-freed tumbler found on the 1856 Short Rifle which reduced friction and therefore lock time, the 1858 Naval retained the basic lock of the Pattern 1853. Produced in two variants - the No.1 and 2. - it was the No.2 which is most commonly found with Victorian markings and is distinguished from the No.1 by being fitted with the curved yataghan bayonet, rather than the straight bladed Naval cutlass bayonet. The rear swivel was also moved further down the stock, attaching directly into the butt, although some No.2s retained the rear swivel in the triggerguard assembly.
British Service percussion rifle, Pattern 1858 Naval Rifle, cal. .577 in., steel rifled round barrel, 84.00cm long, bayonet mount on R.H.side. Steel lock and hammer on R.H. side, brass oval triggerguard with small front spur, no sideplate, brass butt plate and foreendcap, two sling swivels. Barleycorn front sight, graduated rear sight, barrel fastened to stock via two steel barrel bands, steel ramrod stamped 'E 190', 'T & CG' and 'B' over 67, though the 'B' is barely legible. Lockplate stamped with crown over 'VR', '1861/ TOWER', denoting year of manufacture, and government proof mark of a small crown and arrow joined. Stock is stamped on R.H.side in a circular frame 'BIRMINGHAM/ 1860' and crown over a downward pointing government broad arrow with the initials 'W' and 'O' either side, stamped '1' to the R. of previous stamping. Stamped 'J BOURKE' under stock at butt. Stamped on barrel top with two crowns. L.H.side of barrel stamped with govenment and Tower proofmarks and Birmingham examiner marks. Buttplate tang stamped 'E/ 81/ V.V' denoting use by the Victorian Volunteer forces.
Donation from Melbourne Armoury, 24/10/1871
Stamped on barrel L.H.side with government and Tower proofs (crown over TP) and Birmingham examination mark (B over numeral) Stamped on butt tang: E/ 81/ V.V Stamped on lockplate: crown over VR; 1861/ TOWER Stamped on ramrod: E 190; T & CG(ilbert); B/ 67 (Birmingham examination mark) Stamped on stock underside: J BOURKE Stamped on stock R.H.side in circular frame: BIRMINGHAM/ 1860, crown over broad arrow with flanking initials 'W' and 'O' Stamped on stock R.H.side: 1 Stamped on R.H.side of rear sight: C & C
Type of item
124.2 cm (Length), 5.8 cm (Width), 21 cm (Height)
Barrel length: 84.00cm