Colt New Service centrefire revolver, cal. .455 in. Eley, rifled round barrel 139 mm (5 1/2 in) long.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, serial number 123692, 1916. British inspection marks from the Enfield armoury.
Shipped by Colt's to London Armoury Company, 12 December 1916; see Colt Archive Properties authentication letter, dated 22 March 2007.
The donor of this particular New Service model served in the 12th Light Horse. The original brown leather holster accompanies this item.
Six chambered long fluted cylinder with cylinder stops on outer surface, cylinder is a swing-out model to allow for loading and extraction, solid steel frame, steel rounded trigger guard, steel back strap, all metal components with good original blueing, some wear to barrel around muzzle, cylinder and frame top, black two-piece finely chequered hard rubber grips with 'COLT' framed in an oval at grip upper on both sides, lanyard ring in butt. New Service style bladed front sight with rear of sight notched, cylinder catch on frame L.H.side, ejector rod head with two chequered collars. Stamped on L.H.side of frame above grip is the rampant Colt logo. Stamped on L.H.side of frame above cylinder catch is a broad arrow, crown, 40 over E denoting British inspection marks from the Enfield armoury. Stamped on L.H.side of frame at muzzle end of cylinder a pair of crossed pennants, stamped on L.H.side of triggerguard 'VP' and 3, denoting firearm's final check as being positive. The individual single-digit is the number code of the inspector. One-line Colt address stamped on barrel with second line of patent dates.
The Colt New Service model was the largest swingout-cylinder revolver made by Colt and appeared in 1898 and continued, various various improvements and modifications, until 1944. Due to the period of its run, the model saw service in both World Wars and was produced in eighteen calibres, including popular British calibres to cater for the this market. This particular model is stamped with British ordnance marks and chambered to the popular English .455 Eley. Army and Navy models were produced in 1909 and in the same year a now rare to find Marine Corp model was produced. One of the best known variants is the 1917 model chambered to .45 ACP, three rounds being held in a semi-circular clip for speed loading. Two clips loaded the cylinder. The same ammunition could also be used in Colt's 1911 automatic pistol.
Donation from Captain S. C. Karnaghan, 07/1969
Stamped on barrel: COLT'S PT. F. A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A./PAT 'D AUG 5, 1884, JUNE 5, 1900, JULY 4, 1905. Stamped on L.H. side of barrel: NEW SERVICE 455 ELEY Stamped on L.H. side of triggerguard: VP framed in an inverted triangle Stamped on L.H. side of triggerguard: 3 Stamped on L.H. side of frame: Rampart Colt logo Stamped on L.H. side of frame: crossed pennant emblem Stamped on L.H. side of frame: broad arrow/ crown/ 40/ E Serial No. - Frame under swing-arm: 123692; Swing-arm: 123692
Model Name or Number
Type of item