The 'Nyora' was a steam powered tug and salvage vessel built by J.P. Rennoldson & Sons at South Shields in the UK. It was operated by Huddart Parker & Co. Ltd from Melbourne which was her home port. 'Nyora' was fitted with triple-compound steam engines of 970 Kw and was fitted with salvage and fire-fighting equipment such as a Merryweather high-pressure fire pump with a capacity of 9.1 kilolitres per minute and an Accord salvage pump with a capacity of 27.3 kilolitres per minute. On 9 July 1917 this vessel foundered off Cape Jaffa, South Australia in a storm while towing the schooner 'Astoria'. The ship's captain W.M. McBain and one sailor (Gordon Lansley) were rescued by men from the Cape Jaffa lighthouse after spending 24 hours in the water but there were no other survivors from the crew of 16. The Marine Board hearing found no blame could be attributed to any person for the loss of the ship which was swamped by heavy seas and listed when a load of 40 tons of coal shifted.
This model of the 'Nyora' was donated to the Museum by Huddart Parker & Co. in 1937.
Wooden model ship with hull painted black and red with two black steam funnels and a mast at the front and a large propeller at the rear.
Loan & Subsequent Donation from Huddart Parker Co Pty Ltd, Boral Ltd, 08/06/1937
On side of model: NYORA On rear of model: NYORA / MELBOURNE
Type of item
930 mm (Length), 160 mm (Width), 455 mm (Height)