Mounted photograph of the Maryborough Waterside Union Eight Hour Day display in 1908.
This item is part of a collection relating to Australian trade unions and the Eight Hour Day. Action taken by stonemasons on 21 April 1856 led to the establishment of the Eight Hour Day, with the government agreeing that workers employed on public works should enjoy an eight hour day with no loss of pay. It was a world first and became emblematic of the rights of labour. In recognition of the significance of this achievement, April 21 was made a public holiday in 1879 and commemorative marches were held each year from 1879 until 1951. The Eight Hour Day holiday was renamed Labour Day in 1934. In 1955 the Labour Day march and celebrations were replaced by Moomba celebrations.
Description of Content
Image is of a gathering of men in a feild, with an iron fence in the background. The men are sitting or standing infront of a row of three horse drawn floats. The most prominant float is a replica of a sailing ship, which has a flag reading FEDERATION held between two masts. A group of childern are sitting in the boat. All the men appear to be wearing the same outfit; a suit with a medal pinned on the jacket.
Mounted photograph. The photograph has browned with age. The photograph is encased within a dark green cardboard mount. A boarder of fine gold ink has been ruled onto the mount. There is white text both above and below the image.
Donation from J. Pidcock - Waterside Workers' Federation, 1988
White ink text: Maryborough Waterside Union/ DISPLAY 8 HOURS DAY/ 1908
Type of item
45 cm (Length), 0.3 cm (Width), 35.5 cm (Height)