Alternative Name(s): Bicycle Cap, Bicycle Hat, Cyclist's Helmet
Dark brown leather helmet, for use by cyclist. Made circa 1930-1939. Labelled 'Simpson's Gloves'. Probably made circa 1930-1939. Found in box in large downstairs storeroom at Simpson's Gloves factory in 1989.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
Dark brown leather bicycle cap, sou'wester style; head lined with red/yellow plaid. Neck lined with fawn rabbit fur. Neck strap with buckle.
See also SH89.94
Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
Label inside reads "Made By / Simpson's Gloves P/L / (logo) Victoia / Top Grain Hide", attached to buckle reads "7/8".
Type of item
30 cm (Depth), 34.5 cm (Height)