Summary

Woodworking tool, circa 1870 - 1970, taken from Area B1 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.

Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.

Physical Description

Wooden handle, two splits near ferrule - fattest at end - with a flat piece shaved out of round. Light, stained wood handle. Round metal rod fitted into ferrule - broken off at end - perhaps a drill piece. Rod has scoring marks about its circumference especially near ferrule with two scores being deep - suggest object turned at high speed.

More Information